If I got paid $1 every time I had to untangle an existing site’s hosting account, WordPress account and plugin/theme issues, I’d be a very rich man.
In the digital marketing, especially in the web design, their are two many professionals holding clients hostage and making it really difficult for them to separate and go on their own or with another company.
Now I understand no one wants to lose a client, but not providing the client with at least the basics is really scummy.
Here’s what everyone should make sure they know before parting ways from an agency of any size.
- Where is the site hosted?
- How do you access the hosting?
- Who owns the relationship with the hosting company?
- What is your FTP (File Transfer Protocol) information?
- What is the administer username and password for your site?
Those are the bare minimum that any company should get from their agency, even if they aren’t parting ways.
Sorry for the rant, but I see people lose control of their own sites all the time. It’s best to protect yourself.
What do you think? Post your thoughts below.