It’s important in business to make sure you always put your best foot forward. Sometimes someone who you deal with professionally might rub you the wrong way, but under no circumstances does it warrant bad-mouthing them to others. Remember this is a professional setting, not junior high.
The reason why I’m writing this is to share a few key points that might be overlooked:
- You never know who will be your boss one day
- You never know who that person knows
- You never know the relationship between the person you’re talking smack about and the person you’re telling
- It puts the person you’re telling in a very uncomfortable position, especially if you ask them to keep it to themselves
- If the person you’re bad mouthing finds out about what you’re doing, it will harm you way more than them
Business is all about appearance. You might not like someone, that’s fine, but keep your opinions to yourself.
So next time you want to bad-mouth someone THINK and JUST DON’T DO IT!
Have you ever been the recipient of bad-mouthing? Have you ever bad-mouthed someone? Post your thoughts in the comments below.