With the growth of a blogging platform on LinkedIn, and services like Medium that offer alternative place to write and share your insights besides your blog, it is apparent that content marketing, writing, and sharing one’s wisdom is here to stay. The question, for me at least, is where is the best place to post your content? Do you post it on one of these third party sites, do you post it on your blog, or do you post it on both (albeit with proper attribution to where it first appeared with a link)? I’m not sure if I have a clear cut answer for you.
Here are some positives to posting on Medium, LinkedIn and similar services:
- You don’t have to worry about setting up and maintaining a blog
- You have a built in audience
- You often get more engagement
Here are some negatives:
- You lose some control on how your content is shared and used
- You are giving your content to a third party party on a service that you don’t have complete control over
- You can’t always export your content
- It’s harder to control the sales/lead funnel
What do you think? Did I miss some positives? Did I miss some negatives? Post them in the comments.
Oh and it’s not lost on me that I’m posting this on LinkedIn.
Seth Goldstein is the founder of PhillyTech.org Netcast Network. PhillyTech.org is an audio/video podcast network focusing on the technology and startup scene in and around the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania region. You can contact Seth on Twitter@sethgoldstein or @phillytech_org or via email Seth[At]PhillyTech[Dot]org.